Opened in 1837, Delmonico’s was the first fine dining restaurant in the country. The fixture for Wall Street eats has stood the test of time, serving up the ‘gold-standard’ of meat for nearly two centuries. Home to movie stars, socialites and nearly every president since Lincoln, Delmonico’s stands alone as a true icon of old New York.
The original location occupies a triangular shaped building at 56 Beaver Street in the Financial District. Several renovations have taken place to maintain the historical look and feel of opulence. A portico with Corinthian columns (allegedly from Pompeii) greets each guest before entering the grandiose space that once hosted dinners for the likes of Mark Twain and Charles Dickens.
Much of what is seen today as the standard in hospitality is derived from the very beginnings at Delmonico’s. From print menus to table cloths, Delmonico’s was even the first to use the french word ‘restaurant’. Needless to say, the establishment is also the birthplace of the Delmonico Steak, a prime cut of beef cooked to perfection. Other culinary inventions that emerged from Delmonico’s kitchen include Eggs Benedict, Baked Alaska and Lobster Newburg. The current executive chef Billy Oliva continues to marry the past with contemporary taste. Each plate served builds upon Delmonico’s reputation as one of the finest restaurants in New York.